Austin Tice is an award-winning freelance journalist as well as a veteran U.S. Marine Corps of the officer. He is believed to be imprisoned by militants in Syria since 2012. He was kidnapped while reporting in Syria on 14th August 2012. He is a missing journalist whom Donald Trump stated to bring home is making the buzz over the internet.
What is the birthplace of Austin Tice?
On 11th August 1981, Austin Tice was born in Plano, Texas, the USA as Austin Bennett Tice. His nationality is American and his ethnicity is White. His religion is Christian. His birth sign is Leo. As of 2019, he celebrated his 39th birthday. He was born to his father Marc and Debra Tice. As per his education, he attended Georgetown University.
How was Austin Tice’s Career?
- Austin Tice was a U.S. Marine Corps infantry officer who was serving tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- His father said, “He was hearing reports from Syria saying this is happening and that is happening but it can’t be confirmed because there really are no reporters on the ground. And he said, ‘You know, this is a story that the world needs to know about.’”
- Moreover, he was one of only a few foreign journalists to report from inside Syria during the intensification of the civil war.
- He also entered the country in May 2012 and traveled through central Syria, filing battlefield dispatches before arriving in Damascus in late July 2012.
- His reporting garnered his Twitter account 2,000 followers and he stopped tweeting after 11th August 2012.
- In addition to this, he was also one of the first American correspondents to witness Syrian-rebel confrontations.
- His coverage was cited (along with efforts of additional reporters) as contributing to McClatchy winning a George Polk Award for war reporting for its coverage of Syria’s civil war.
Abduction of Austin Tice
- He was working as a freelance journalist for McClatchy, The Washington Post, CBS, and other media when he was abducted from Darayya, Syria.
- After that, there was no immediate contact from Tice or his captors.
- In September 2012, a 47-second video of Tice blindfolded and bound was released.
- In October 2012, a U.S. spokesperson said it believed, based on the limited information it had, that Tice was in the custody of the Syrian government.
- But no government or group in Syria has said it is holding him.
- In February 2015, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) launched its pro bono #freeaustintice campaign.
- RSF has been assisting and advising his family since September 2012.
- His parents asked RSF to help them raise awareness about their son’s situation.
- awareness about their son’s situation. RSF partnered with the global advertising agency J. Walter Thompson to prepare a public awareness campaign in order to do everything possible to bring Austin Tice safely home.
- The campaign has since garnered over 17,000 signatories and a widespread blindfold pledge on social media.
- The FBI increased their reward for information regarding Tice’s whereabouts to $1,000,000 in April 2018 and two US officials said Tice is believed to have survived captivity.
- In August 2018, a US State Department official said the US government still believe Tice is being held by the Syrian government or its allies.
- In November 2018, Reuters reported that Robert O’Brien, the US Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs, had called on Russia to “exert whatever influence they have in Syria” to secure Tice’s release; the report stated that the Syrian government remains unaware of Tice’s whereabouts.
- Tice’s parents announced in December 2018 that during a press conference that they had received new information that indicated their son was still alive without elaborating further.
- Speaking to reporters from Beirut, Tice’s parents claimed that the best chance of Tice’s release would come from direct talks between the US and Syrian governments. He is the eldest of seven siblings.
Is Austin Tice Married?
Austin is not married yet and he is still to get married. There are no rumors about his dating anyone. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay. He is assumed to be single as of now.
What is the Net Worth of Austin Tice?
The net worth of Austin Tice has not been revealed by any sources yet but it will be added once we get information about it. Moreover, his salary is also under review. And it has not been disclosed by any sources yet.
How tall is Austin Tice?
Austin Tice has got a tall height of six feet two inches with a bodyweight of 88 Kg. His chest size is 44 in, waist size is 34 in and biceps size is 20 in. His hair color is brown and his eye color is dark brown. As of now, he has got a healthy body.
Is Austin Tice Dead or Alive?
Austin Tice is alive.