Jeffrey Lurie is an American billionaire motion picture producer and business tycoon who is well-known for being the owner of the professional American football team “Philadelphia Eagles” of the National Football League(NFL). His team, the Eagles also have won the Super Bowl LII defeating the Patriots by the score of 41-33 on February 4, 2018. Lurie is the founder of the production company “Chestnut Hill Productions” which he founded in 1985. His maternal grandfather, Philip Smith founded one of the US largest operators of drive-in movie theatres “General Cinema movie theatre(now General Cinema Corporation) which was later run by his maternal uncle, Richard A.Smith.
Having started his career in 1983 by working as an executive in his grandfather’s company, he has achieved great heights in his career and has been able to be listed on the World Billionaire’s List. He ranks at 319th position on the Forbes 400 2020 Billionaires with an estimated net worth of $2.7 billion.
What is Jeffrey Lurie famous for?
- Famous as an American Billionaire producer and businessman
- Known for being the owner of the professional American football team “Philadelphia Eagles” of NFL
Where is Jeffrey Lurie from?
Jeffrey Lurie was born on September 8, 1951, in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. His birth name is Jeffrey Robert Lurie. American is his nationality. His ethnicity is Jewish. Virgo is his zodiac sign.
Lurie was born to Morris John Lurie(father) and Nancy Smith Lurie(mother). He has a brother, Peter, and a sister, Cathy. When Lurie was 9 years old, his father died.
His maternal grandfather, Philip Smith was an American businessman and the founder of a major production company “General Cinema Corporation”. His maternal uncle, Richard A. Smith also was a businessman who later ran the company after his grandfather, Philip.
He was raised in his hometown, Massachusetts along with his siblings. He did his schooling at a local high school. Later, he attended Clark University and earned a B.A. and he also received a master’s degree in psychology from Boston University.
Later, he joined The Heller School for Social Policy and Management at Brandeis University and earned a doctorate in social policy. While at Boston University, he served as an adjunct assistant professor of social policy.
As a child, he was raised in Jewish culture but he has not been practicing Jewish culture. Belonging from a family with a business background, it was obvious for him to pursue his career in business and so he left academia to began working.
Jeffrey Lurie Career: Highlights
- Jeffrey Lurie started her professional career in 1983 by joining his grandfather’s production company “General Cinema Corporation” which was being headed by his uncle, Richard.
- While in the company, he worked as an executive in the company as a liaison between the company and the Hollywood production community.
- He also worked as an advisor in The General Cinema national film buying office.
- Later in 1985, he went on to commence Chestnut Hill Productions.
- His company produces a string of Hollywood movies and TV shows.
- His company’s produced movie “Inside Job” won an Academy Award for the best documentary film in 2011.
- He won his second Academy Award for his produced film “Inocente” in 2013.
- Lurie has produced many TV films and series such as “Blind Side”, “State of Emergency”, “Malibu Shores”, and “POV”.
- He has also appeared as himself in the 1996 American romantic drama film “Jerry Maguire”.
- Then, he portrayed the role of Barney’s friend in the American television film “The Garbage Picking Field Goal Kicking Philadelphia Phenomenon”.
- His company has produced many movies from which the company has margined huge profits. The company’s produced 1988 film “Sweet Hearts Dance” earned a total of $3790493 in the box office
- The company’s produced films like “I Love You to Death”, and “V.I. Warshawski” earned $16186793 and $11128309 respectively.
Jeffrey Lurie Philadelphia Eagles
- Jeffrey Lurie being a football fan always wanted to buy an NFL football team. He also tried his luck for buying football clubs such as “New England Patriots” and “Los Angeles Rams”. However, his uncle Smith didn’t let him do so.
- He also was a potential investor in a bid for a Baltimore expansion team with Robert Tisch, who subsequently bought 50% of the New York Giants
- On May 6, 1994, Lurie went on to buy The American football team “Philadelphia Eagles” which competes in National Football League(NFL) for $195 million from the team’s owner, Norman Bowman.
- He and his mother, Nancy borrowed $190 million from the Bank of Boston for buying the team.
- Eagles won the Super Bowl LII defeating the Patriots by the score of 41-33 on February 4, 2018. It was the first Title won by Eagles after Lurie took ownership.
- Philadelphia Eagles are now worth $3.1 billion.
- He owns over 90% of the team as his former wife, Christina Weiss received an ownership interest in the team as part of the divorce settlement.
- Lurie also established the Eagles Autism Challenge which has raised $6 million over the last two years.
Everything To Know About Tina Lai
Jeffrey Lurie Wife
Jeffrey Lurie is a married man. He is currently married to his second wife, Tina Lai. Lai is a Vietnamese immigrant who is a former manager of Vietnam Cafe. She also used to work in her family’s restaurant as a manager. Her family owns multiple restaurants in Philadelphia.
Lurie started dating Lai in 2012 after they first met each other in Lai’s family’s restaurant where she used to assist her brothers. Lurie then 66 tied the knot with Lurie then 44 in a private ceremony in Charleston, South Carolina, on May 4, 2013. The couple has no children together. The couple is happily living together at their $14 million worth estate in Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
Previously, he was married to Christina Weiss. Weiss is a former actress who also worked for his production company. The couple tied the knot in 1992 in Gstaad, Switzerland.
They together shared a son Julian and a daughter, Milena. The couple got divorced in August 2012 after their 20 years of their marriage. Weiss received an ownership interest in the Philadelphia Eagles as part of the divorce settlement.
Jeffrey Lurie Billionaire net worth
Jeffrey Lurie, the Billionaire, has quite great earnings from his professional successful career as a producer, businessman, and the owner of Philadelphia Eagles. With his hard work, Lurie has earned his name as one of America’s wealthiest personalities having garnered a net worth of around $2.7 billion.
Lurie has earned his billion worth by being the founder and CEO of his production company “Chestnut Hill Production” and as the owner of the NFL football team, Philadelphia Eagles. He owns over 90% of the football team whose worth is now $3.1 billion
With his billion worth property, Lurie has been living a lavish and luxurious lifestyle currently living in a $14 million worth estate in Wynnewood, Pennsylvania.
Also, his established “Eagles Autism Challenge” has raised $6 million over the last two years. He has been listed at 319th position on the Forbes 400 2020 list and ranks at 764th position on the Forbes list of Billionaires 2020 with an estimated net worth of $2.7 billion.
Jeffrey Lurie Height
Jeffrey Lurie is a good looking man in his late 60s. He has a fair complexion with light hair and a pair of brown eyes. He stands tall with a height of 6ft(1.82m) and weighs an overweight of around 100kg
Did You Know?
- Jeffrey Lurie served as an adjunct assistant professor of social policy at Boston University
- His father died on April 14, 1961
- He appeared as himself in the 1996 America romantic drama film “Jerry Maguire”
- He owns over 90% of the Philidelphia Eagles.
- He is listed at no.764 on the Forbes List of Billionaires 2020.