Kelechi Promise Iheanacho, professionally known as Kelechi Iheanacho is a Nigerian professional football player who plays as a striker. He started his professional career from English club Manchester City in 2015. He was a member of Manchester City that won the 2015-16 Football League Cup. Another English club Leicester City signed Iheanacho reportedly for 25 million pounds in 2017.
On the international level, he has represented the Nigeria football team at various age levels. He was a member of the Nigeria U17 team that won the 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup. He also won the tournament’s Golden Ball award. He made his senior international debut in 2015.
He has over 513k followers on his [email protected]
What is Kelechi Iheanacho Famous For?
- Named the Most Promising Talent of the Year at the 2013 CAF Awards, as well as the 2016 CAF Awards.
- Won the 2013 Golden Ball award at the 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup.
Where is Kelechi Iheanacho from?
Kelechi Iheanacho was born on 3 October 1996. His birth name is Kelechi Promise Iheahacho. His birth place is in Imo in Nigeria. He holds Nigerian nationality. He belongs to African ethnicity. His religion is Christian. He was born to a father, James Iheanacho, and a mother, Mercy Iheanacho. He has a sister named Ada and a brother named Chibuke.
Source: [email protected]
Kelechi Iheanacho Football Career
- Kelechi Iheanacho started playing football at a young age.
- He joined Taye Academy in 2011.
- His performance at the 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup drew attention from several European clubs including Arsenal, Sporting CP, and Porto.
- He then traveled to England to discuss a move to Manchester City.
- He eventually signed a pre-contract agreement with the club.
- He was scheduled to sign a formal contract with the club on in 18th birthday.
- He was named the Most Promising Talent of the Year at the 2013 CAF Awards. He won the same award in 2016.
- Iheanacho officially joined Manchester City’s Academy in January 2015.
- He was included in the club’s 2014-15 pre-season tour in the United States.
- He scored in the club’s pre-season matches against Sporting Kansas City and Milan.
- He was then arranged to train with the Columbus Crew until mid-October.
- Due to a delay in obtaining a work permit, he was unable to play in England until February 2015.
- He made his competitive debut for the club’s U19 level in a UEFA Youth League match against Schalke 04. However, he sustained an injury after only 11 minutes.
- He represented Manchester City’s U19 and U21 level.
- He was part of the Manchester City youth team that reached the FA Youth Cup final. He scored in the final but lost to Chelsea on 5-1 aggregate.
- He scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over Porto in the 2014-15 Premier League International Cup final.
- He was included in Manchester City’s first team during the 2015-16 pre-season tour in Australia.
- Iheanacho scored as well as assisted a goal when Manchester City defeated Roma in the International Champions Cup.
- He also scored in Manchester City’s last preseason game against VfB Stuttgart, where they lost 4-2.
- Following his impressive performance during the preseason, he was promoted to the club’s first team.
- He made his competitive debut on 19 August 2015 against Watford. He came on in as a substitute in the final minute of a 2-0 win over Watford.
- Iheanacho scored his first competitive goal on 12 September 2015 in a 1-0 win over Crystal Palace. He had come on in as a final minute substitute.
- Iheanacho scored the first hat-trick of his career on 30 January 2016 against Aston Villa in the fourth round of the FA Cup. He also set up a goal for Raheem Sterling.
- He finished the 2015-16 season with 8 league goals. He scored 14 goals and assisted 5 goals in all competitions during the season.
- He scored his first goal of the 2016-17 season in the Manchester derby on 10 September 2016. He also assisted the second goal in a 2-1 win over United.
- He scored his first European goal on 14 September 2016 against Borussia Monchengladbach in the Champions League.
- He joined the exclusive list of players to have scored 10 Premier League goals before the age of 20 in September 2016, after he scored a goal against Bournemouth.
- He was nominated for the FIFA Golden Boy award in October 2016. Bayern Munich’s Renato Sanches won the award.
- Iheanacho scored 7 goals in 29 appearances in all competitions during the 2016-17 season. He only scored 4 league goals during the season.
- Iheanacho moved to Leicester City when he signed a 5-year contract with the club in August 2017 for a reported transfer fee of 25 million pounds.
- Iheanacho made his debut for the club on 11 August against Arsenal. They lost 4-3 to Arsenal.
- He scored his first goal for the club in the EFL Cup match against Leeds United on 24 October 2017.
Kelechi Iheanacho International Career
- Kelechi Iheanacho represented the Nigeria football team at various age levels. He has represented Nigeria youth teams from U13 upwards.
- He was part of the Nigeria U17 team that reached the African U17 Championship. He had scored a hat-trick against Botswana. They lost to Ivory Coast in the penalities.
- He won the Silver Shoe as the tournament’s second top goalscorer.
- He was part of the Nigeria U17 team that won the 2013 FUFA U17 World Cup. He also won the tournament’s Golden Ball award after he scored 6 goals and provided 7 assists in the tournament.
- He also won the Silver Shoe as the tournament’s second top scorer.
- He represented Nigeria at the 2015 FIFA U20 World Cup.
- He made the Nigeria 35-man provisional squad for the 2016 Summer Olympics. However, he failed to make the final 18.
- He previously trained with Nigeria senior team for the 2014 African Nations Championship. However, he was released from the squad in order to travel to England to sign with Manchester City.
- He made his senior international debut in a 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying match against eSwatini.
- He scored his first senior international goal in May 2016 in a 1-0 friendly over Mali.
- He represented Nigeria in the Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.
- He was also included in the preliminary 30 man squad for the 2018 World Cup in Russia. He did not make the final squad.
How Tall is Kelechi Iheanacho?
Kelechi Iheanacho stands at a height of 1.85 m i.e. 6 feet and 1 inch tall. He has a body weight of 82 kg. He has an athletic body build. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is black. His sexual orientation is straight.
Is Kelechi Iheanacho Married?
Kelechi Iheanacho is unmarried. He maintains a private life away from social media. He does not share his love life on social media. However, it is reported that he is in a relationship with Amaka. It is also reported that Amaka is pregnant with his child. It was also reported that he previously dated a woman named Amarachi for five years. However, no authentic information about him is available.
Kelechi Iheanacho Salary
Kelechi Iheanacho earns from his professional career as a football player. Having started his professional career at Manchester City, he currently plays for Leicester City. He had signed a 5-year contract reportedly for 25 million pounds. Thus, his annual salary is estimated at 5 million pounds. His net worth is estimated at $20 million.
Did You Know?
- He wears shirt number 14 at Leicester City. He initially wore shirt number 8.
- He scored the first hat-trick of his career against Aston Villa in the FA Cup in January 2016.
- Iheanacho is the first player in English football to be awarded a goal due to VAR, when the VAR validated his goal (previously ruled off-side) against Fleetwood in the FA Cup third round on 16 January 2018.